10 September 2009

The best part of my job.

The best part of my job is learning about how things work. It's not often I get jobs like this but when I do I always try to go on location and see the machinery (or animals as well) in motion. In this case I had to go to the local Occupational Training Center's recyling plant and see how recycling is sorted. Besides the melodious smell I found the trip to be very educational and downright fun.

Below is the trammel screen that sorts out the broken glass.


This next one fascinated me. The spinning drum puts out a charge that repels the aluminum but magnetizes the steel/tin while leaving the trash to fall straight down. Brilliant. It was fun to watch the aluminum "jump."


This high velocity fan blows the light plastic and aluminum while the heavy glass drops down.


And of course, here is the aluminum compactor. It was fun to paint all of those cans.


All of these were used as signage in the plant (with some text) to help explain to tour groups how everything worked.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome Mr. D, I enjoy that kind of thing also, How It's Made is my swan-song

- Matt H

Sam said...

Nice gig! Those all look like you had so much fun drawing them. They look great!