08 September 2009

Little Bird


I recently finished this Hidden Picture for Highlights High Five. It will be featured in the February issue's "My First Hidden Pictures" which are hidden pictures designed to be easier for younger kids and they are also accompanied with a poem. This was my first time coloring one of my hidden pictures. I have been experimenting with a colored pencil Photoshop technique and decided to try it out for this illustration.

Look for the following objects:
Magic wand, birthday cake, mitten, spool of thread, ruler, pencil, eyeglasses, and a tea cup.


There were many changes to the original sketch (the one posted above is actually the second revision). You can see in the sketch how the window was changed to make it easier for the younger kids to "read." My technique in making a hidden picture is usually to make a purposefully busy composition and then find the objects in the sketch with some manipulation. With this one I felt I really had to pull back and simplify which was much easier on my brain.

Below is the line art minus the bird. The bird was done separately so I could control the depth/color of the line in the finish.


High Five is a beautifully illustrated/written magazine. Click here to get a subscription.

1 comment:

Phyllis Harris said...

Very nice! It was fun to see the changes and then the color version. I LOVE High Five! Very fun magazine!I also loved working with Kelley. :o)